mounting CIFS share (tcp/455) with FreeBSD and mount_smbfs(8)

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Tue Mar 1 21:39:34 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: O. Hartmann
Subject: mounting CIFS share (tcp/455) with FreeBSD and mount_smbfs(8)

> I need to mount a CIFS share from windows server 2012 r2 via CIFS, tcp/445 as NetBIOS
> service (tcp/139) has been deprecated due to serious vulnerability issues.
> .
> .
> .
> I desperately need CIFS and I need tcp/445 since tcp/139 is from now on firewalled.

There's actually alternative available that's far more UNIX-friendly and not depending on the SAMBA foibles.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574143.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Of course, you need to have admin access to the server or get the admins enable NFS on it.

-Reko

(I've used the Windows NFS the other way around- FreeBSD NFS shares mounted with on Win7.)