printing text file with LPD - non-printable characters

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Oct 5 18:35:34 UTC 2014

El día Sunday, October 05, 2014 a las 10:41:43AM -0700, Beeblebrox escribió:

> I have two LPD errors
> 1. I see two characters being replaced by strings on the hard copy (the {â}
> below is an {a^}). This happens on the first page and not on following
> pages.
> instead of " I get:  â\200\234 (235 for trailing ")
> instead of ' I get:  â\200\231
> 2. All non-english characters get garbled, on all pages. These are
> characters like ç, ö, etc.
>
> With these two seemingly separate errors, I can't figure out whether this is
> an lpr or enscript error.

First of all check, what encoding has your text file, UTF-8 or ISO or
...?

Then run the file through the filter

$ /usr/local/bin/enscript -o - < file > out

and check the resulting file 'out'.

I do not know enscript, but guess that it should produce Postscript from
your input file.

I moved the thread by setting Reply-To: to the normal freebsd-question@
list;

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign:
E-mail: guru at unixarea.de     |  \ /   - No HTML/RTF in E-mail