[CURRENT]: weird memory/linker problem?

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 23 14:31:23 UTC 2014

Am Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:10:04 -0700
Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> schrieb:

> When they segfault, where do they segfault?
>

> -a

Now I get more fun.

After a buildworld and reboot, the box in question is at CURRENT:

FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r267782: Mon Jun 23 13:12:56 CEST 2014 amd64

After a reboot, everything is/was all right. After reboot, I did an update of the ports
tree (I do this regularily). I configured /etc/make.conf that way, that ports tree update
is performed via using /usr/bin/svn. Now, ~ three hours of regular work (KDevelop, some
GIMP, LaTeX work, nothing special, but a bit memory consuming regrading GIMP) I tried
updating the ports tree and surprisingly the tree is left over in a unclean condition
while /usr/bin/svn segfault (on console: pid 18013 (svn), uid 0: exited on signal 11
(core dumped)).

Using /usr/local/bin/svn, which is from the devel/subversion port, performs well, while
FreeBSD 11's svn contribution dies as described. It did not hours ago!

Well, this drives me nuts. Is it a bug in FreeBSD (maybe relocating libs, the memory map
or something else) or is it in fact the agony of my computer system? As reported below,
memory checks via memtest didn't show up any kind of faulty memory.

I'm out of ideas. Is there a way to stress test the CPU and memory system to check
whether RAM, the CPU itself and, as an additional possibility, the disk i/o controller
(Intel ICH10)?

Thanks for your patience,

Oliver