Cross-architecture package installs

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Feb 6 07:58:57 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 10:34:18PM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> I'm working on tools to build ARM system images.
> Usually, these tools run on x86, which creates a problem
> for packages.

fwiw, before the intrusion 3 months ago, I had been able to build
native ARM packages with a loaned system.  Now, granted, this was
pretty slow, but it was a useful reference point.

Unfortunately none of the packages or logfiles are online at this time.

When I was at MeetBSD in California, I learned that the Foundation is
sponsoring an effort to get emulation for tier-2 machines in working
order, and that this will be the plan for package building going forwards.

This is just FYI so you don't spend a great deal of time on each
individual port.  I know the problems will be hard to solve.

mcl