WITH_ICONV/WITH_BSD_GREP: Defaults?

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 5 20:04:09 UTC 2012

In FreeBSD 9 and 10, src.conf could be populated with those two knobs

WITH_ICONV
and
WITH_BSD_GREP

For some testing purposes, I switched them both to "enabled", so I could
test ports and software against these.

I didn't realize any serious issue with WITH_BSD_GREP, but I read, some
time ago, that bsdggrep does have some speed issues. What is the actual
status of bsdgrep in FreeBSD?

Another story seems to be with WITH_ICONV. I didn't realize problems
until I had harsh faults compiling port lang/gcc46 which tend to fail in
a Makefile when WITH_ICONV is enabled. But at that point the issue the
first time occured, I hadn't deinstalled port converters/libiconv so I
can not say whether those issues came due to confusions. But it seems to
tend to confusions having remnants of WITH_iconv installation when
disabling the build by deleting or commenting out WITH_ICONV.
What is the status of WITH_ICONV?
The ports seem still to rely on the port libiconv when being built.

Thanks in advance,
Oliver