no X after installing xorg + xfce

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 14:04:06 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM,  <"Thomas Mueller
> <mueller6727"@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>> I have successfully installed FreeBSD-9.0-BETA2 to an amd64 bit
>>> machine, I have used the ports to install xfce and xorg.  When I type
>>> startx, I get a screen with a bunch of colors no mouse, no keyboard,
>>> just colors.  The machine has nvidia onboard graphics.  I am trying to
>>> get kernel sources installed via sysinstall to install nvidia-driver
>>> but I can't get anywhere from any ftp site I select at random.  I have
>>> updated to latest sources available on the ports and it comes up the
>>> same.  I have to use the nv driver, should I try the nouveau driver?
>>> What should I do?  I want to help in testing and have no way to report
>>> bugs as without X there's not much one can do :(
>>
>>> Is it not automatically installed when one goes into
>>> /usr/ports/x11/xorg, and runs make install clean?
>>
>> You would get the xorg server with the xorg metaport/megaport.
>>
>> One thing I can think of is a little dirty trick I have seen in FreeBSD but not NetBSD or Linux, X comes up but no response to mouse or keyboard.
>>
>> I ran startx, got twm with its windows, but no response to mouse or keyboard.
>>
>> Cure was, to include in /etc/rc.conf
>>

>> hald_enable="YES"
>> dbus_enable="YES"
>
>    This seems like more of a question@ issue.
>    I doubt that the above claim is at fault, given past experience.
> What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log say, and what does your xorg.conf
> contain?
> Thanks,
> -Garrett

I will check on Monday as soon as I get to my machine to see if I have
these in /etc/rc.conf and also output what is in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log(if I can get to X to save it).  Could it be that
xorg-server is not installed?  I have been fortunate to install xfce +
xorg and things just worked(TM) for me.   I will get back as soon as I
have some results.  Thank you all who have dropped some suggestions.

Regards,

Antonio