make release: doesn't work for me, getting recursive looping

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sat Jun 18 16:35:33 UTC 2011

On 06/18/11 05:15, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> Try to build a cdrom from most recent CURRENT/amd64 sources.
>
> Issuing the follwing command fails the build process looping
> recursively and indefinitely within the source folder /usr/src/release:
>
>  make release cdrom CHROOTDIR=/unused/release/9.0/ SVNROOT/usr/src
> BUILDNAME=9.0-CURRENT RELEASETAG=RELENG_9 NOPORTS=YES NODOC=YES
>
> The chrooted folder is empty and as the doc says, it should be the
> location where the release should be build. Since I do not use CVS
> anymore, but SVN, I use SVNROOT instead of CVSROOT to point to the
> location of the sources.

This is not how release building works anymore. See release(7). If you
want to do something analagous to the old-style make release, with SVN
checkouts and a chroot, which you seem to wan to do, you need to use
generate-release.sh. You can also use make release to build a system out
of the current source directory by simply doing make release NOPORTS=yes
NODOC=yes.

The reason it is hanging is that one of the sub-targets invoked by make
cdrom requires that make obj be run first. make release protects against
this, but manually invoking sub-targets does not.
-Nathan