Soekris net5501-70 problem with loading ATA modules onFreeBSD-Current

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 15 22:33:42 UTC 2011

Marek Salwerowicz wrote:
>> I think these errors caused by devices created for legacy ISA
>> compatibility via device hints. Go to device.hints and remove all ATA
>> stuff from there to force ATA to be detected only via PCI.
>>
>> Another problem I see here with module load order. Loading atapci before
>> ataadm will make generic driver attach to controller, not specific one.
>> Unluckily loading in different order won't help, I think, because ataamd
>> depends on atapci and will load it automatically.
>>

> Hi,
>
> we have commented these lines in device.hints:
>
>> #hint.ata.0.at="isa"
>> #hint.ata.0.port="0x1F0"
>> #hint.ata.0.irq="14"
>> #hint.ata.1.at="isa"
>> #hint.ata.1.port="0x170"
>> #hint.ata.1.irq="15"
>
> and now there are no errors in dmesg,
>
> but:
>
> 1. ataamd doesn't load automatically atapci.ko, so I kept the order.

It should.

> 2. after loading modules and # atacontrol detach ata0
> # atacontrol attach ata0
>
> I can't still see my CF connected to net5501.

It would be nice if you enabled verbose kernel messages to get more info.

> Is it possible to load dynamically modules or do they have to be
> compiled in kernel... ?

It should, but I haven't used it. What for do you need to load/unload
them in run time?

--
Alexander Motin