howto: enabling journaling on softupdates

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 17:56:51 UTC 2011

Agreed. Added to http://wiki.freebsd.org/DocsFor9x .

> As I could see, SU+J is enlisted to be enabled by default in 9.0-RELEASE.

Yes, it is on by default in bsdinstall (and I think in newfs? I could be wrong).

>   What is the status quo of that? I've several active systems running
>   UFS2 on their system disks while data/home/mass storage is ZFS.

>   Are their any issue with SU+J?

I haven't been tracking what's been going on, but several bugfixes
have gone in in the last couple of months post-SUJ. There might be
some bugs in the work, but most standard operations work out of the
box for me at least.

>   I hit was "-J", the option for enabling softupdate via GEOM gjournal.

Yeah, it's confusing..

>   Is there any special preparation to bring up an existing filesystem
>   securely into
>   journaling? As I read the blogs and emails in the list, it should be
>   as simple
>   as booting into single user mode, enabling on all partitions in
>   question (even / ?)

Yes.

>   via -j softupdate-journaling, runing a foreground fsck, reboot ...
>   that's it?

If all goes well, that was the entire process IIRC.

>   Or is there any other additional preparation like mentioned in gjournal
>   (async mount)?

ENOCLUE (because I'm not aware of that with gjournal -- the last time
I tried setting it up things didn't work too well for me) :).

>   Thanks for patience and repsonding,

Sure :)!
-Garrett