Interpreted language(s) in the base

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 17 01:53:16 UTC 2010

On 08/16/2010 00:47, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> If I only wanted a kernel and everything else as installable packages,
> I might as well use one of the Linux distributions.

That wasn't at all what I said, or what I was suggesting. There is a
middle ground between "everything is a package" and the status quo. The
fact that people keep asking for more things to be in the base that
clearly don't/can't belong there is evidence of this.

Meanwhile, to respond more or less generally to some of the specific

1. My descriptions of the various possible things to import were meant
to be tongue-in-cheek, not exhaustive technical reviews of the
alternatives. The fact that some people "bit" on those, particularly the
ones that described rabid user communities, is, well, funny. :)

2. phk's description of the the situation with tcl is both more eloquent
and more complete than I could have come up with, which is why I didn't
mention it in my previous post. Although the situation with perl is more
vivid for me since I was directly affected by it my recollections of the
tcl thing match his description, and more importantly I agree with him
that it should be viewed as a cautionary tale.

3. In case I wasn't clear in my last post the correct answer at this
time is neither "import more stuff into the base" nor "turn more things
into packages." It's "write good apps using the tool(s) of your own
choosing and we'll find a way to make it work."

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso