kmem_map too small: 3832475648 total allocated

James R. Van Artsdalen james-freebsd-current at jrv.org
Thu Apr 29 22:18:41 UTC 2010

Scott Long wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I find it absolutely absurd that any filesystem has to wire down 2GB of RAM, and that the solution to panics is buy more

The only thing buying more RAM is likely to do is make the memory leak
behind this harder to reproduce.  Likewise increasing kernel tunables.

It may only be a short-term leak, i.e. something that would be recovered
normally.

Does FreeBSD have a kernel debug facility for this?  Is there a way to
look at a kernel dump file and identify by caller who allocated space?