newsyslog patch implementing file includes

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 24 02:57:21 UTC 2010

At 10:15 AM +0100 4/22/10, krad wrote:
>On 22 April 2010 08:33, Alex Keda <admin at lissyara.su> wrote:
>
>>  22.04.2010 11:29, Gordon Tetlow ?????:
>>
>>>  On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Alex Keda <admin at lissyara.su <mailto:
>>>  admin at lissyara.su>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     It's need feature. I test patch - it work for me (CURRENT, amd64)
>>>     Can I use some as:
>>>     <include> /path/to/dir/*.conf
>>>     ?
>>>     and can I create recursive include?
>>>

>>>  Yes, wildcards and recursive includes are supported.
>>>
>>  great job!
>  > Thanks!

I also think this is a great feature to add.

Just to be clear:  This allows a config file to include some other
file, and that other file can also include more files with additional
newsyslog entries.  In that sense it allows recursive includes.

Note that it will detect when such recursion causes one file to end
up indirectly including itself, and will reject *that* situation.
So you shouldn't be able to get into an infinite loop of included
files.

>i would be real nice is newsyslog also supported a date based file renaming
>shceme rather than the cyclic 0,1,2,3, much like the datext option in
>logrotate. eg
>
>messages
>messages.20100422
>messages.20100421
>messages.20100420
>
>The cyclic renaming is a pain for incremental backups as all the log files
>are backed up every time as their contents changes compared to their
>filename

I hope to do this after Gordon commits the new feature that he's
implemented. I know I've said that before, but I do have some
vacation time coming up soon and expect to do it then.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org