gpart failing with no such geom after gpt corruption

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Thu Apr 1 17:34:28 UTC 2010

On Apr 1, 2010, at 6:23 AM, Bartosz Stec wrote:

> Unfortunately it wasn't so easy. First of all system booted, and as I expected kernel message shows GPT error on ad1. Zpool was degraded but alive and kicking. However, when I tried to execute any gpart command on ad1, it return:
>
>   ad1: no such geom

If the GPT is rejected, no GEOM is created in the kernel. It's the GEOM
that gpart(8) talks to, so the error indicates that the GPT is not accepted
after you changed the disk size. For all practical purposes ad1 doesn't have
a partitioning.

The only gpart command you can use is:
	gpart create -s gpt ad1

This creates a new GPT on the disk, wiping out whatever was there...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com