[Call For Testing] VirtualBox for FreeBSD!

Martin Wilke miwi at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 14 21:56:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 02:51:32PM -0700, Artem Belevich wrote:
> Few more notes from -CURRENT/amd64
>
> * VirtualBox needs /proc mounted, otherwise it fails to start.
> * Kernel module must be loaded with "kldload vboxdrv"

- From my mail:
Some notes before you can test the port:
Make sure you are using RELENG_7 or higher. You have
to use a fresh portstree with uptodate ports!! Please
read carefully the pkg-messages.

>   In my case, I de see bunch of relocation errors on the console,
> though the module does load:
>
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
> vboxdrv: fAsync=0 offMin=0xb25 offMax=0x39a8
>
> * Attempt to boot new VM (64-bit FreeBSD) from -current snapshot DVD
> ISO results in an error:
>
> Failed to start the virtual machine FreeBSD.
> Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SYMBOL_VALUE_TOO_BIG).
> Unknown error creating VM (VERR_SYMBOL_VALUE_TOO_BIG).
>
> Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
> Component: Console
> Interface: IConsole {a7f17a42-5b64-488d-977b-4b2c639ada27}
>
> * Subsequent attempts to start VM result in an error message that
> kernel module is not present, even though kldstat shows it just fine.

Maybe is here the problem you link to devel/kbuild.

> Any suggestions on how to make it work?
>
> --Artem
>

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Artem Belevich <fbsdlist at src.cx> wrote:
> > I'm trying to build on CURRENT/amd64
> >
> > kBuild binaries that come with the port are for FreeBSD-6.3 and seem
> > to depend on KSE and would at the very minimum need /etc/libmap.conf
> > tweaking in order to get them to work.
> >
> > Perhaps it would be better to make port depend on kBuild and just do
> > ln -s /usr/local/bin work/virtualbox-2.2.2r19673/kBuild/bin/freebsd.amd64
> >
> > with kBuild installed from ports vbox did finish building.
> >
> > --Artem

- --

|  PGP    : 0xB1E6FCE9  |  Jabber : miwi(at)BSDCrew.de  |
|  ICQ    : 169139903   |  Mail   : miwi(at)FreeBSD.org |
|	Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest!		|