Apparently spurious ZFS CRC errors (was Re: ZFS data error without reasons)

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely7.cicely.de
Wed Mar 25 11:38:46 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 06:04:08PM +0000, Mark Powell wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Bernd Walter wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 03:21:28PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> >I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is in the drive firmware.
> >Preread and wc both have the potential to put a lot load to the drives
> >and can trigger bugs that otherwise wouldn't matter.
>
> I've emailed WD support for more info. Not expecting much though.
> From reading other threads on these Green Power drives them seem rather
> crap. This is my model and firmware:
>
> http://www.datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/western_digital/WD10EADS-00L5B1
>
> There's some head park problem too, but with 5s ZFS sync I don't think it
> applies in this case:
>
> http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51401&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120&sid=a1caf68d80ef8fecc5d9e86defde4c19
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/4/9/1386304
>
> >I also have a system running WD drives and ECC RAM which show CRC errors
> >from time to time, while all other systems have no CRC problem at all.
>
> Interesting. Are those CRC problems with WC on or off?

WC is on, prefetch is off, but only because it had bad performance with
MySQL.
Drives are <WDC WD3200AAKS-00SBA0/12.01B01> Serial ATA II
I don't know if it is with the drives, but other reasons are less
likely in my opinion.
The system is located in a data center and since I only get a few errors
I decided to live with it and not to debug it further.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de