Apparently spurious ZFS CRC errors (was Re: ZFS data error without reasons)

Mark Powell M.S.Powell at salford.ac.uk
Wed Mar 25 11:04:12 PDT 2009

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Bernd Walter wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 03:21:28PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is in the drive firmware.
> Preread and wc both have the potential to put a lot load to the drives
> and can trigger bugs that otherwise wouldn't matter.

I've emailed WD support for more info. Not expecting much though.
>From reading other threads on these Green Power drives them seem rather
crap. This is my model and firmware:

http://www.datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/western_digital/WD10EADS-00L5B1

There's some head park problem too, but with 5s ZFS sync I don't think it
applies in this case:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51401&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120&sid=a1caf68d80ef8fecc5d9e86defde4c19
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/4/9/1386304

> I also have a system running WD drives and ECC RAM which show CRC errors
> from time to time, while all other systems have no CRC problem at all.

Interesting. Are those CRC problems with WC on or off?
   Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Information & Learning Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,