ZFS data error without reasons

Daniel Eriksson daniel at toomuchdata.com
Mon Mar 16 04:52:11 PDT 2009

kevin wrote:

> Hi,
> Will any changes cause zfs data error?I find my disk data
> error without
> any reasons(shutdown or reboot  normally).disk was bought
> yesterday.sometimes it can be fixed with a zpool scrub.but
> mostly zpool
> scrub will return more errors.Even i restore all zpool from my
> backup,without 5 mins,zpool status shows data error and many checksum
> errors.

Is the drive connected to an "nVidia nForce MCP55 SATA300 controller"? I
have two machines with on-board MCP55 controllers. One of them works
perfectly, the other causes silent data corruption (each time I run a
zpool scrub it finds new checksum errors).

If you also have an MCP55 controller then maybe this is related.

/Daniel Eriksson