ZFS data error without reasons

kevin kevinxlinuz at 163.com
Sun Mar 15 23:41:07 PDT 2009

Michael David Crawford wrote:
> kevin wrote:
>> Will any changes cause zfs data error?I find my disk data error
>> without any reasons(shutdown or reboot  normally).disk was bought
>> yesterday.
>
> If it's really a brand-new disk, I suggest running the manufacturer's
> disk testing utility to see if the drive could actually be defective.
>
> Don't just depend on Open Source tools - the proprietary utilities can
> often access proprietary, undocumented drive firmware features that
> are put there specifically for diagnostic purposes, and so do a better
> job of testing the drive than any Open Source tool could.
>
> The problem might just be some bad sectors on your media.  If that's
> the case, the diagnostic utility will remap the bad sectors.  If the
> utility does report bad sector remapping, do a full scan again, and
> keep repeating until no more bad sectors are found.
>
> If you scan more than a couple times and bad sectors are still turning
> up, your drive is probably beyond repair, and should be RMAed.
>
> All the drive manufacturers provide these utilities; go to the
> manufacturer's website and look either in the Support link, or the
> Drivers and Downloads link.
>
> Hope That Helps,
>
> Mike
I checked the disk with Seatools and no error was detected.No one
reported the disk firmware's problem.Now the kernel with latest patch
from www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/zfs_ea.patch , the problem go away
now,except the panic.
My error history:
#zpool status
pool: tank
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scrub: scrub in progress for 0h4m, 29.21% done, 0h10m to go
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
tank ONLINE 0 0 8.98K
ad4s3d ONLINE 0 0 18.6K 852K repaired

errors: 9182 data errors, use '-v' for a list
#zpool status
pool: tank
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scrub: scrub in progress for 0h4m, 29.83% done, 0h10m to go
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
tank ONLINE 0 0 9.38K
ad4s3d ONLINE 0 0 19.4K 852K repaired

errors: 9598 data errors, use '-v' for a list

Thanks,
kevin