i give up

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 30 10:08:55 PST 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Alexander Churanov wrote:

> The solution is to ask someone, or, better, to pay someone for providing
> that knowledge. Computer shops rarely indicate that hardware is compatible
> with FreeBSD. Whom to ask/pay? All this leads to idea of creating some
> organization that will sell FreeBSD compatible PCs and hardware. I'm sure,
> business like that can not exist , because FreeBSD userbase is not largest.
> But non-profit organization, would, probably.

There are quite a few companies around already that will certify their hardare
for use with FreeBSD, and provide support for using their hardware with
FreeBSD, especially in the server department.  Several companies do a rather
good business in this department, including iXsystems (owns FreeBSD Mall and
helped organize the recent MeetBSD), Iron Systems, Freedom Technologies (was
FreeBSD Systems), and others.  It's quite possible to talk to these and other
companies and say "Sell me a server with FreeBSD pre-installed and the
following configuration" or "Which RAID controllers do you recommend, can you
install them and guarantee they will work with the latest FreeBSD install".
So I wouldn't underestimate the FreeBSD user base :-).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge