i give up

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Nov 30 03:14:30 PST 2008

On 2008-Nov-28 23:41:55 -0600, "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net> wrote:
>It's been two-three months now since I bought this new machine,

Looking back through my mailing list archives, the earliest mention I
can find of your problems is 24th October - just over a month ago.
Maybe in future, you'll do some homework before buying random hardware
and expecting it to work with open-source operating systems.

> and I'm
>no closer to seeing any solution to the failure on FreeBSD's part to
>recognize and/or utilize my SATA controller.

At no time have you described the SATA controller other than giving
its PCI ID.  I gather it's a builtin controller on your motherboard
but you haven't mentioned what motherboard you are using or what the
chipset is (the closest is "nVidia MCP78/77/72").

>So, it looks like it's fare-thee-well to FreeBSD after 12+ years of
>dedicated usage,

I presume you've also written to nVidia complaining about their policy
of not releasing programming details for their chipsets and to your
mobo manufacturer for using chipsets that are not publicly documented.

>If FreeBSD hopes to remain viable as either a server or desktop
>platform, then I would think the developers would be willing to bite
>the bullet and consult with other OS developers to see how they're
>handling the latest and greatest hardware developments.

I think you'll find they do.  You also need to consider that most
FreeBSD developers are volunteers and can't just drop everything
because some random user has purchased a random piece of undocumented
hardware that doesn't work.

>  Hell, the fact
>that even at this late date we still don't have an amd64 nVidia video
>driver speaks volumes, in my opinion.

Have you personally done anything about correcting this?  Either by
writing code to implement the missing kernel functionality or by
offering to pay someone to do it?

>, and I'm still not seeing any particular effort
>being put forth in the the FreeBSD camp to rectify the situation I'm
>finding myself in.

I'm not seeing any particular effort on your part to assist.

--
Peter Jeremy