how to design a tablet driver?

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Thu Mar 6 11:12:52 PST 2008

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Chuck Robey wrote:
>> My current project is making a usb driver for my "Superpen" WP8060
>> Tablet. It's a cheaper version of the better known Wacom Tablet,
>> which i couldn't afford for my use in Gimp.  I figure, I better ask
>> myu questions here, because they don't really bear so much on usb as
>> they bear upon the basic architecture of a mouselike drvice that must
>> be absolute, not relative, in approach.
>
> I would say that you should report the physical size of the tablet, and
> then report movement in terms of real physical units. You could do all
> this in fixed point 32 bit ints and then have an enum which says what
> units it's reporting in (tenths of a millimetre, or whatever).
>
> After that it's up to the client to do the right thing. Passing screen
> size to the display drive seems like a gross hack liable to much
> breakage.
>
> All this said I suspect that this problem has already been solved by
> other tablet drivers so I'd look there. Not to mention that there
> should already be a protocol for tablets that goes between the kernel
> and X (or from an X driver that opens ugen and speaks to the rest of X)

Wow, it never even occurred to me that somed other part of the system might
want to take over part of the jkob, but I can see you're right.  So, I
think that the next part of this job is to see if ANYONE has a Xinput
driver written for X11, one which I might possibly make for compatibility with.

Oh, what a great idea!  Look, thanks VERY much!