panic: System call lstat returning with 1 locks held

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:12:24 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 6:28 AM, Yar Tikhiy <yar at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 04:39:24PM +0200, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> >
> > I think this could be related to the recent vn_lock()/VOP_LOCK() KPI changes.
> > Please, add DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS to the kernel config, and do the
> >       show lockedvnods
> > from the ddb prompt when the panic occurs. The witness does not track
> > the lockmgr locks.
>
> I think I'm seeing the same panic on UFS.  It's rather nasty: I
> cannot rebuild CURRENT natively due to it so I have to build it
> under 6-STABLE.  My favourite way to trigger the panic reliably is
> running `make install' in a simple port directory, e.g., portmaster,
> but my system also panics during daily scripts run and, as already
> said, if trying to build world.

Try backing the -CURRENT sources to "Jan 08 23:45 UTC 2008", and then
rebuild/install the kernel.  This is the point before the
vn_lock/VOP_LOCK changes. Reboot your system and perform your steps
that caused the lstat panic (this kernel shouldn't give the lstat
panic).

Create a  backup of this kernel:

cd /boot
cp -rp kernel kernel_good

Then try building/installing a kernel from  the -CURRENT sources that
have been updated to "Jan 08 23:49 UTC 2008".  Reboot and try the same
steps again, this kernel should give the lstat panic.

After it panics, just reboot, break into the boot loader, then do:

unload
boot kernel_good

Then either copy kernel_good to kernel or add the following to
/boot/loader.conf:

kernel="kernel_good"

Scot