Packet corruption in re0 (and em0 too)

Raul raul at pop.isdefe.es
Fri Feb 22 10:01:06 UTC 2008


First of all, it's my first post here ...

Thanks to everybody that made FreeBSD possible.

Christoph Schug escribió:

> I am having the very same problem on a rented Hetzner DS8000 root

Sorry to say, I think that 'me too'

My re0 comes with the motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H (AMD 690G 
chipset).

I've tried yesterday with RELENG_7_0 (RC3) and RELENG_7, same behavior 
on both. I've returned to RELENG_7_0 and plug an em0 but, in my case, 
the same behavior happens. I left the box by night compiling CURRENT and 
this morning I've run my 'stress tests' (once again with re0) ... the 
box break to gdb as far I remember (too sleepy, sorry). Well, at least 
no garbage over the link BD.

The fastest method I found to reproduce the problem is receive a 
compresed tar (with good compression ratio) over the network (using nc, 
100 Mbps fdx), pipe through tar that decompress and write it on disk (a 
lot of MB/s and tps looking at 'systat -vm'). The source tar file is 
about 5Gb and link always fails before EOF :|.

The em0 is brand new so no idea if it works right. It would be the first 
one that fail to me (great stuff intel ;) ... I'm pretty confident about 
the switch and allow setting flow control, duplex negotiation, dot1q and 
so on.

I'll be glad to test whatever you suggest on that box.

Regards,
Raul



More information about the freebsd-current mailing list