who do I report this to?

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 01:04:40 PST 2007

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:11:42AM -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>

>> Who do I report the following issue to (it falls into at least 3
>> camps)?
>>
>> If I am downloading a torrent in deluge 0.5.6.2_1 *AND* am logged
>> into gmail (*WITH* a chat open) my network connection looses
>> about 90% of it's capacity (for all applications), re(4) with the
>> following:
>>
>> rgephy0: <RTL8169S/8110S/8211B media interface> PHY 1 on miibus0
>> rgephy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX,
>> 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
>>
>> After some experimenting this problem *only* occurs under the
>> above conditions.
>>
>> Addtional info:
>>
>> gnome 2.20.1 nv driver (latest) Xorg 7.3
>>

> Would you show me more details(network configuration)? Since re(4)
> is involved here I'd like to know what caused the issue. If you
> disable checksum offload does it get better performance?(#ifconfig
> re0 -txcsum)

Will try this the next time I run into the problem (in the middle of
something that can't be interrupted)... most likely tomorrow night
when I DL the evenings TV shows (don't own a TV).... here is the
external config:

cable company (cablevision/optonline) <---- DHCP ----> belkin router
<--- 192.168.2.2/24 (wired, DMZ) ----> host with issue

There is also a HP DeskJet 6980 on 192.168.2.4 (wired) and a XP
machine on .3 (wireless)... the router is using default settings
except for the DMZ setting for 192.168.2.2.  All wired connections at
100Mb optonline is 15Mb/down with unknown up (at least 5Mb)...
optonline has a firewall (indirect proof via inbound ports 25 and 80
being blocked despite DMZ setting)

> Btw, you wouldn't get correct performance number with P2P software
> because there are too many factors there. Check other network
> benchmark tools in ports.

I was looking for a suitable one couldn't find one... due to my
activity over the last few days the main other evidence I have for the
issue is slow/incomplete/stalled/lost/etc. connections on make fetch
on arbitrary ports and running cvsup -h cvsup10.us.freebsd.org
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile [host is 5 hops away] (but spot
checks review all apps are affected)

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
Developer, not business, friendly