Current 8.0: wpa_supplicant SPAM: Setting ESSID to ""

Ben Kaduk minimarmot at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 10:54:36 PST 2007

On 11/17/07, Victor M. Blood <freebsd at masm.elcom.ru> wrote:
> On 17.11.2007, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 09:55:34AM +0300, Victor M. Blood wrote:
> >> on ttyv0 (console) after I run wpa_supplicant print messages
> >> Setting ESSID to ""
> >> Setting ESSID to "APOINT"
> >> Setting ESSID to "APOINT"
> >> Setting ESSID to "APOINT"
> >> ... and repeat, and repeat
> >>
> >> In 7.0 this message not appear? Please help me remove this SPAM. Why
> >> it shows to me?
>
> > Which wireless driver are you using? if_ndis(4), if_ipw(4) or
> > if_iwi(4)?
>
> if_ndis, ndiscvt for bcmwl5.sys

Seems like I'm jumping in a bit late, but for the archives:
I also am using if_ndis for bcmwl5.sys (in a Dell Inspiron 8500).

I have 7.0-beta2, and I see the message:
Setting ESSID to "MIT"
on the console occasionally, but it seems to only be when it loses signal
and has to re-associate.
I get a lousy connection, being at a vertex of the convex hull of my dormitory,
but I don't think that I'm getting spammed with this message.

-Ben Kaduk