ZFS -> samba directory quirk

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 8 03:08:51 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 07:13:57PM +0900, Nathan Butcher wrote:
> I'm not sure if I'm the only one seeing this, but I have a ZFS-samba set
> up between my FreeBSD7-BETA2 test machine and a Windows XP box. The
> samba install is from ports and is the latest version (it is patched for
> zfs I believe).

I run RELENG_7 on my home machine, using ZFS with a zpool of two disks
(basically the equiv. of a RAID 0 array).  The storage pool is about
1TB, and mainly contains ISO images.  The network interface on the boxes
are gigE, and I copy data quite regularly.  I have absolutely no ZFS-
related tuning parameters set in my loader.conf or sysctl; I'm using
all the stock out-of-the-box settings.

I run Samba as well, which has shares for numerous directories on that
ZFS pool.

I haven't run into any problems that appear to be ZFS or Samba-related.

> On occasion I will find that directory information sometimes goes funky
> when coming out on the Windows XP side. On one occasion, files that
> *should* have been in the directory didn't show up in Windows, and on
> one occasion, a filename for a particular file appeared *twice* (and
> deleting it deleted both instances!). A refresh of the directory in
> Windows seemed to fix this quirk temporarily.

I have seen something similar happen, and I believe it to be a Windows
"problem" (if you can call it that) more so than a SMB/CIFS or ZFS
problem:

Say you have /foo/bar as a shared SMB resource via Samba on a UNIX box.
If on the Windows machine you browse to that folder (in Windows
Explorer), then on the UNIX box rm -fr /foo/bar/someotherdir, you will
not see the someotherdir directory disappear in Explorer until you
actually click Refresh.

Otherwise, I haven't ever seen what you've reported.  I'm not sure why
you think it's related to ZFS though; the behaviour you describe should
happen on any underlying filesystem or LVM equivalent.