ATA_STATIC_ID [Was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] ...]

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko alex.kovalenko at verizon.net
Tue Nov 6 18:17:14 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 01:57 -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:37:24AM -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> > yes btw due to god knows what reason the patch renumbered ad8 to ad6
>
> That can be discussed in the future.  ATA device numbering (that is to
> say, the X of an "adX" device) has always been a little odd in my
> experiences.  Turning on or off a ATA interface (PATA or SATA) seems to
> adjust the numbering, regardless of ATA_STATIC_ID or not.  It's likely
> that I do not understand what the kernel option does.

I have somewhat different (and very pleasant ;) experience with this
kernel option, so if you want to compare notes, kernel or hardware
configurations let me know.

Basic story is that I have ThikPad X60 with ICH7M controlling internal
SATA hard drive and UltraBase docking station with ICH7 controlling PATA
hard drive in the dock.

Without ATA_STATIC_ID, internal drive will show up as ad0 outside of the
dock, and as ad1, while docked. Disk in the docking station will become
ad0, and system will not boot without applying some magic incantations
regarding root device.

With ATA_STATIC_ID, internal drive will always show up as ad4 (docked or
not), and drive in the dock will become ad0.

Hope this helps.
--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko