[ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 6 01:58:09 PST 2007

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

>>> The speeds are still incorrect (150 instead of 300)
>>>

>> According to the thread and Wiki data I see, you're complaining that the
>> following two devices on your SATA bus are SATA150 when they should be
>> SATA300, correct?
>>
>>     Master:  ad8 <ST3500630AS/3.AAE> Serial ATA v1.0
>>     Master: acd0 <TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S183L/SB01> Serial ATA v1.0
>>

> yes btw due to god knows what reason the patch renumbered ad8 to ad6

    Depends on whether or not AHCI vs IDE (aka 'compatibility-mode') is
involved, and whether or not you have multiple SATA controllers in the
mix (for instance ASUS MBs have one ICHx +    JBMicron controller, each).
>> 1) Have you verified that the SATA150-limiting jumper on your Seagate
>>    drive has been removed?  SATA300 drives from Seagate come from the
>>    factory with that jumper connected, limiting the drive to SATA150.
>>

> I will check but:
>
> 1. I was unaware of this "feature"
> 2. I didn't see any jumpers when I installed it
>
>> 2) Do you happen to be using a PATA-to-SATA adapter on the DVD drive?
>>

> It is native SATA (300)
>
>> 3) If No to #2, are you sure that the ICH9 does SATA300 with ATAPI
>>    devices?  Does the mainboard BIOS even support it for ATAPI?
>>

> Mobo has ATAPI I am not sure about the IHC issue though... will look it
>

> up and get back to you.

    Make sure you don't have cheap / SATA300 incompatible cables :).

    FWIW, my ICH9 enabled P5K-E Wifi MB has zero problems with FreeBSD
7-CURRENT/8-CURRENT. What flavor of MB do you have?

-Garrett