"camcontrol rescan all" stuck in kernel (firewire)

Hidetoshi Shimokawa simokawa at FreeBSD.ORG
Sun May 27 12:55:24 UTC 2007

I have no idea why you get "Error 22" but the blocking of rescan
is expected. I suppose the process will finish after several
"fwcontrol -r". See manpage of sbp(4) for detail.

If you have any problem other than the detach problem described
in the man page, please let me know.

On 5/27/07, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a harddisk connected via firewire (not mounted, only played with
> dd), disconneted it and issued a "camcontrol rescan all". I got some
> kernel messages about "(probeX:sbp:0:x:0): Error 22" and "Unretryable
> Error" and then the process is stuck there since yesterday (if it
> matters, on boot there's a long pause between the same messages at
> boot time and continuing with the userland part of the boot, maybe 20
> or 30 seconds). ps shows camcontrol is in state "D+".
>
> In kdb I see the following backtrace:
> sched_switch
> mi_switch
> sleepq_wait
> _sleep
> cam_periph_runccb
> xptioctl
> devfs_ioctl_f
> ioctl
>
> The rest of the system works just fine. I tried "show xxx" (everything
> what shows up with "lock" or "sleep" when I just type "show"), but
> nothing showed up.
>
> Anything else I can provide/do to find the cause?
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.
>
> --
> Life is a POPULARITY CONTEST!  I'm REFRESHINGLY CANDID!!
>
> http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
> http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa at FreeBSD.ORG