zfs root is not mounted automatically

Barry Pederson bp at barryp.org
Wed May 23 15:59:05 UTC 2007

freebsd.ruomad at free.fr wrote:
>>> Anyone has an idea on how to get the normal mode to work automatically (not
>> that I cannot live with verbose dmesg, but...)
>>
>> I'll look into this once I'm back from BSDCan.
>>

> Hello Pawel,
>
> I rebuilded everything (thanks to gcc 4.2) : world and ports.
> The problem remains and has sort of grown worse as now even the verbose boot
> does not result in my root being mounted properly (automatically).
>
> Do you have a clue or some idea of what I can test now to help solving this
> problem.
> Am I the only one to see this ?

Bruno:

So does it mount OK after you manually enter the root?

I'm having a problem very frequently where it picks up the

    zfs_load="YES"
    vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:tank/root"

OK in the loader, but hangs when booting at:

------
.
.
.
WARNING: ZFS is considered to be an experimental feature in FreeBSD
ZFS filesystem version 6
ZFS storage pool version 6
Trying to mount root from zfs:tank/root
------

and then it just sits there.  But on other occasions, it gets past that
and boots fine.  This is without recompiling or anything - so I'm not
sure what's changing (LOR?)

Anyhow, not sure if that's the same what you're seeing, but I thought
I'd mention it.

	Barry