import nss_ldap, openldap in base?

LI Xin delphij at delphij.net
Thu May 10 02:36:44 UTC 2007

Patrick Dung wrote:
> Personally I think that LDAP support out of the box is good (e.g other
> OS already has LDAP support out of the box, get more users to use it).
>
> We already have programs like bsnmp, pam_radius, Kerberos and OPIE
> integrated/comes with the base OS. Is Openldap(client library, not
> server), nss_ldap/pam_ldap support in base OS worth more attention?

I think that importing the whole OpenLDAP client into base system as-is
is useful, but that might be painful, because the development pace of
OpenLDAP is fast and people do want bugfixes, etc. from newer OpenLDAP
releases, so we should work carefully to avoid conflict between base
OpenLDAP and port OpenLDAP.  So I think we may want what we did for
libbsdxml (expat) if we really wanted to import the stuff into base system.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!