Functional RAID controller?

Barrett Lyon blyon at blyon.com
Tue May 8 14:57:46 UTC 2007

I've been using HEAD with 3ware adapters and all of my test machines
are completely non-functional.  I had my team working directly with
3ware for two weeks and they offered a tip here and there.
Ultimately we ended up with a non-functioning systems and a good idea
what's wrong with the twa driver.

I offered to help fund and provide hardware for a development effort
to update their driver to support HEAD but they refused to help.  I
am worried about 3ware's commitment to the future of FreeBSD and the
twa driver at this point, 3ware is not the least bit concerned (even
with a large customer):

> From: 	  xxx at amcc.com
> Subject: 	RE: 3ware driver issues-Machine to be dropped at 3ware
> Date: 	May 7, 2007 5:14:04 PM PDT
>
> Good Afternoon.  Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone.   We
> have been discussing this internally, and ultimately BSD 7 is
> unreleased, unstable OS at this time.
>
> I am sorry, but this is not something we can put resources in at this
> time and if you bring a systems here, it could not be worked on right
> away either.  It would be weeks/months before we can work on this...

I would like to find a SATA RAID controller that plays nice by a
company that is FreeBSD friendly and progressively working on their
drivers.  Does anyone have any suggestions other than to not use the
7.0 branch?

-Barrett