i815 and SC_PIXEL_MODE and DRM problem also

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnisec.de
Sat May 5 02:18:04 UTC 2007

Am Samstag, 5. Mai 2007 schrieb Eric Anholt:
> On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 03:18 +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > today I empowerd my old Vaio SRX41P (P3m at 800) with a fresh -current and
> > recognized that there persists a problem with SC_PIXEL_MODE. It seems to
> > be broken for my i815 integrated graphics controller since FreeBSD 5.x.
> > vidcontrol -i mode shows me the 800x600x4 (106) mode, which some ATI
> > card's don't have, but with FreeBSD5 I always could enable "-g 100x37
> > VESA_800x600" if that mode was shown. For the mentioned period I just get
> > "not supported by device".
> >
> > I also can remember that I had my puppy running OpenGL applications with
> > FreeBSD4/5. If I kldload drm and i915 the chipset isn't supported
> > anymore. Was it intentional to remove i810 support? (but keep
> > Vodoo/Glide???)
>
> We have never supported i810 DRM on FreeBSD.  The i810 driver had some
> extra VM tricks it was doing to do the command stream validation, so it
> never got ported.

Really?!? I'm quiet sure I had i815 machines with working glx.
Is it possible that I had OpenGL in Xfree without FreeBSD DRM?
In 2002 I had lots of i810/815 machines supplied with FreeBSD 4.7 and I saw
glxgears working at reasonable speed (according to the i810 capabilities).

Thanks for your attention!

-Harry

--
OmniSEC  -  UNIX und Windows Netzwerke - Sicher
Harald Schmalzbauer