Panic when loading snd_ich.

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 25 17:28:55 UTC 2007

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:17:09 -0400
Sean Bryant <sean at cyberwang.net> wrote:
[....]

> >> panic during boot. not when loading the kernel module:
> >>
> >> pcm0: <nVidia nForce4> port 0xdc00-0xdcff mem
> >0xd5003000-0xd5003fff > irq  23 at device 4.0 on pci0
> >> pcm0: [ITHREAD]
> >> pcm0: cannot reset channel 0
> >> pcm0: unable to initialize the card
> >> device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
> >>

> >> that's what happens when I load the module after everything has
> >> started.  snd_ich worked as of 3/06/07. I decided to give my
> >machine > an update and  the panic is what happened.
> >>

> > I'm suspecting something more generic. Virtually, nothing is
> > changed within snd_ich land within that timeframe, except few bug
> > fixes mostly during detach procedure.
> >
> > Besides, your panic source is from USB land, not snd_ich.
> >
> That's what I suspected. So I just installed the latest HPS usb
> stack  and it's the same.
>
> pcm0: <nVidia nForce4> port 0xdc00-0xdcff,0x4400-0x44ff mem
> 0xd5003000-0xd5003fff irq 23 at device 4.0 on pci0
> pcm0: [ITHREAD]
> pcm0: cannot reset channel 0
> pcm0: unable to initialize the card
> device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

Try this one: (sys/dev/sound/pci/ich.c)

  http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/test/ich.c

(no, this has nothing to do with the panic at all)

> With the latest HPS USB stack not sure if that's the same one in
> HEAD or  not.
> Maybe something is conflicting or some other change has caused the
> resources to be tied up. That's a really rough guess with no
> evidence to  support it.

You should reproduce the panic, generate the dump, submit the
backtrace so things will become much clear for us. Will you?

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........