Panic when loading snd_ich.

Sean Bryant sean at cyberwang.net
Sun Mar 25 17:17:13 UTC 2007

Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:47:30 -0400
> Sean Bryant <sean at cyberwang.net> wrote:
>
>> Ariff Abdullah wrote:

>>> leads >>>>

>>> (not >> having sound is a >> serious issue!)

>>> too >>> Besides, how do you come up with "oich_add_done" ?

>>> ohci_add_done(ohci_softc_t >> *, ohci_physaddr_t);
>>> sys/dev/usb/ohci.c:             >> ohci_add_done(sc, done &~
>>> OHCI_DONE_INTRS); >> sys/dev/usb/ohci.c:ohci_add_done(ohci_softc_t
>>> *sc, ohci_physaddr_t >> done) sys/dev/usb/ohci.c:
>>> panic("ohci_add_done: addr >> 0x%08lx not found", (u_long)done);

>>> come > up  with that.
>>>

>>> So where does the "loading snd_ich cause panic" fits in? Are you
>>> saying that it is all about "kldload snd_ich" or panic during
>>> boot?
>>>

>> panic during boot. not when loading the kernel module:
>>
>> pcm0: <nVidia nForce4> port 0xdc00-0xdcff mem 0xd5003000-0xd5003fff
>> irq  23 at device 4.0 on pci0
>> pcm0: [ITHREAD]
>> pcm0: cannot reset channel 0
>> pcm0: unable to initialize the card
>> device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>>

>> that's what happens when I load the module after everything has
>> started.  snd_ich worked as of 3/06/07. I decided to give my machine
>> an update and  the panic is what happened.
>>

> I'm suspecting something more generic. Virtually, nothing is changed
> within snd_ich land within that timeframe, except few bug fixes mostly
> during detach procedure.
>
> Besides, your panic source is from USB land, not snd_ich.
>

> --
> Ariff Abdullah
> FreeBSD
>
> ... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
>     and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........

That's what I suspected. So I just installed the latest HPS usb stack
and it's the same.

pcm0: <nVidia nForce4> port 0xdc00-0xdcff,0x4400-0x44ff mem
0xd5003000-0xd5003fff irq 23 at device 4.0 on pci0
pcm0: [ITHREAD]
pcm0: cannot reset channel 0
pcm0: unable to initialize the card
device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

With the latest HPS USB stack not sure if that's the same one in HEAD or
not.
Maybe something is conflicting or some other change has caused the
resources to be tied up. That's a really rough guess with no evidence to
support it.