HEADS UP: UNIX domain socket locking changes merged to CVS HEAD

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 1 09:03:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Randall Stewart wrote:

>> I too have been having unexpected lockups--like Randall, I figured it was
>> something to do with my machine.  Interestingly enough, though X will lock
>> up completely (and I can't ssh to the machine, though I can ping it) the
>> jail, which runs a small web site, running on an alias ip address continues
>> to work--I can still access the web site from outside.
>>
>> However, I haven't been able to apply Robert's patch yet.  As some of you
>> have noticed, there's a bunch of tinderbox failures dying in netstat.
>> It's happening to me too, so I haven't been able to rebuild.
>>
>> (this is more of a me too post at this point--I haven't had a chance to do
>> any investigation).
>
> I was able to build.. and so far no lockup's.
>
> The frustrating thing was it would always free in X.. and I could not get
> back out to get a trace... I am glad that someone else did :-D
>
> So the good news is once you can build .. it seems to be the problem is
> solved.. of course I still could lock up.. but only using X will tell :-0

In light of slightly ambiguous reports of success, I've committed the patch.
With any luck this will help with the UNIX domain socket deadlocks, but if
not, please let me know.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge