weird error with nmh

Gary Jennejohn garyj at jennejohn.org
Tue Jun 26 06:34:03 UTC 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:04:59 -0600 (MDT)
"M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> In message: <20070624191345.7f08c10e.garyj at jennejohn.org>
>             Gary Jennejohn <garyj at jennejohn.org> writes:
> : I'm using exmh with nmh on a freshly installed AMD64-current:
> : 	7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #4: Sat Jun 23 19:29:01 CEST
> : 2007
> :
> : nmh uses its own version of strcasecmp() because in many cases it
> : passes NULL pointers to it and must check for that.
> :
> : However, somehow the version in libc gets used rather than the
> version : from nmh and calling e.g. repl results in a SIGSEGV because
> the NULL : pointer is dereferenced.
> :
> : I was forced to rename the routine to nmhstrcasecmp() all over the
> : place. After that repl works.
> :
> : My question - why isn't the version in nmh overriding the version in
> : libc? Am I misunderstanding something here?
>
> I see exactly this too...
>
> Warner

I remade world with -O -pipe and the error with repl went away. This
was suggested by phk at . Seems that gcc42 is optimizing just a little
bit too much away with -O2.

What I now see is that exmh doesn't send out my mails, although it goes
through all the motions (I see network activity). Now I'm using
sylpheed, although I'd much prefer exmh.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg
garyjATdenxDOTde