Low end video card that won't crash server ... ?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 22 06:47:38 UTC 2007

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 08:11:50PM -0700 I heard the voice of
> Garrett Cooper, and lo! it spake thus:
>
>> Intel's still your best bet, with nVidia in second, and ATI in
>> third.
>>
>> You aren't going to get proper 3D support unless you switch to Linux
>> unfortunately :(..
>>

> I still love my Matrox.  But even there, you're stuck with the 550 and
> older if you want open drivers, which is, what, like 6+ years at this
> point?  Rather unpleasantly expensive new, but you can find 'em
> reasonable on eBay.  Not too shiny if you need much 3d, but they're
> unbeatable on 2d.

    Unfortunately you can only get the Intel graphics chipset on
motherboards so far. The future will change things though.. that's all I
can say.
    Matrox cards are ok, but not fantastic.
    As for nVidia, you're fine as long as you stick to i386 for all by
0.1% of all cases. Make sure to consult their compatibility list before
buying a card though -- very important.
-Garrett