ZFS status now in June? / stable enough for a file server?

Patrick Tracanelli eksffa at freebsdbrasil.com.br
Wed Jun 20 13:44:53 UTC 2007

Dennis Berger escreveu:
> I have a backupserver running CURRENT with ZFS on a 500gb volume.
> I use ssync and nfs to sync our production server, and do hourly
> snapshots since 2-3 month.
> It never paniced or something like that and is a lot faster than my 6.2
> box was.
> regards,
> -Dennis
>

> Olivier Mueller wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have to setup a file storage server (non-critcal, just as secondary
>> backup server) and I am wondering if would be a realistic idea to start
>> using ZFS. I spent some time browsing the lists and newsgroups, and the
>> status wiki page looks "good": http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS .
>> The http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html page also states:
>> June 2007    Start FreeBSD 7.0 Release Process, so this may also be
>> a positive point about overall stability? :)
>>
>> It would be to store lots of data, and the FS-compression feature of ZFS
>> would be quite interesting for this server.  Of course I'd be glad to
>> help debugging any issues I may see.
>> So if you are already using ZFS in "pre-production", I would be glad for
>> a short "go/no go" feedback, thanks :-)
>>
>> regards,
>> Olivier

I am running a 1TB volume at home with 92% usage, to store multimedia
files, and sharing it over NFS and CIFS. I never expected failures,
panics, or the previously mentioned problems which were already fixed.
It has constant read access, around 9MB/s according to iostat -w1 with
20MB/s peaks. Write access is somehow low, but I did, while I was just
testing, some 2GB file creation with dd(1) to check for transfers per
second. Never had a problem. I will certainly go production with ZFS
when 7.0-R happens.

Great pjd's work.

--
Patrick Tracanelli