panic when removing pccard

Niki Denev nike_d at cytexbg.com
Tue Jun 19 11:25:27 UTC 2007

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 June 2007 11:06, Niki Denev wrote:
>
>> Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> If you want to be able to remove the card you need to install the new USB
>>> stack. The old USB stack is completely broken when it comes to this
>>> point!
>>>
>>> --HPS
>>>
>>> http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/usb4bsd
>>>
>>> Install the SVN version.
>>>
>> I've followed the instructions and did a svn checkout of the source,
>> then did make install and after this i rebuilt my kernel and modules (i
>> had to disable if_ural)
>> But even after this i get the same panic when removing this specific card.
>>
>> P.S.: How can i be sure that my new kernel and modules are using the new
>> USB stack?
>> I'm thinking that maybe something got wrong with the installation.
>>

> Check the "dmesg".
>
> If you see something like:
>
> usb0: 12MBps Full Speed USB v1.0
> usb1: 12MBps Full Speed USB v1.0
> usb2: 12MBps Full Speed USB v1.0
> usb3: 480MBps High Speed USB v2.0
>
> Then you are using the new stack.
>
> Make sure that you are using the latest version. Hence you needed to
> remove "if_ural.c" it does not sound like you are using the latest version.
>
> Do a "svn update" again, build a new package, install that, and build a new
> kernel.
>
> --HPS

I csuped a fresh -current source, then did a frech svn checkout of the
new usb stack
make package and make install went ok, then i proceeded to build the kernel,
but it failed and complained about missing usbdevs.h
i regenerated the file using the awk script in sys/tools and
sys/dev/usb/usbdevs as source file,
but then the build failed again with (these messages were also present
in the first build failure):

cc: /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usb_requests.c: No such file or directory
cc: /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usb_compat_linux.c: No such file or directory
cc: /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usb_transfer.c: No such file or directory
cc: /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usb_cdev.c: No such file or directory
cc: /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usb_hid.c: No such file or directory
mkdep: compile failed
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PCGU3.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

Maybe i'm doing something terribly wrong.. i'm not sure..or the new
stack is lagging behind the recent usb changes in the tree?
My kernconf is based on GENERIC, but with SCHED_ULE, added device spic
and CPU_ENABLE_LONGRUN.
I'm also using ccache to build kernel and world, but build attempt
without ccache also resulted in the same failure.

P.S.: I didn't had anything like "usb0: 12MBps Full Speed USB v1.0 " in
my first build, so i'm 99.9% sure
that it wasn't using the new stack, hence the same kernel panic when
removing the card.

Niki