Cannot use iwi(4): "could not load firmware iwi_bss"

Andrew Thompson thompsa at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 18 10:03:13 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 12:47:03AM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use iwi(4) on my laptop.
>
> % jarjarbinks:space$ kenv | grep intel
> % legal.intel_iwi.license_ack="1"
>
> I first load iwi_bss and then iwi.  Unfortunately I get the following
> messages:
>
> % iwi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG> mem 0xc8218000-0xc8218fff irq 11 at device 3.0 on pci6
> % iwi0: Ethernet address: 00:12:f0:2c:f3:6e
> % iwi0: [ITHREAD]
> % interrupt storm detected on "irq10:"; throttling interrupt source
> % iwi0: timeout waiting for iwi_bss firmware initialization to complete
> % iwi0: could not load boot firmware iwi_bss
> % interrupt storm detected on "irq10:"; throttling interrupt source
> % iwi0: timeout waiting for iwi_bss firmware initialization to complete
> % iwi0: could not load boot firmware iwi_bss
> % interrupt storm detected on "irq10:"; throttling interrupt source
> % iwi0: timeout waiting for iwi_bss firmware initialization to complete
> % iwi0: could not load boot firmware iwi_bss
> % interrupt storm detected on "irq10:"; throttling interrupt source
> % iwi0: timeout waiting for iwi_bss firmware initialization to complete
> % iwi0: could not load boot firmware iwi_bss

The driver will wait one second for the firmware to load, it is possible
that the interrupt storm is affecting this. You can always increase the
iwi timeout on line 2516 of if_iwi.c and see what happens. Change hz to
hz * 3 perhaps.

Andrew