recent nvidia-driver trouble

Gary Jennejohn garyj at jennejohn.org
Sat Jun 16 07:06:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:01:40 -0700
Sam Leffler <sam at errno.com> wrote:

> Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:53:02 +0200
> > Pascal Hofstee <caelian at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Sometime during the last week i have started to encounter trouble
> >> with my system locking up trying to switch from X to console, but
> >> only when using the nvidia-driver kernel module. Using the plain
> >> "nv" driver works without any problems ... When the lock up
> >> happens the system seems to no longer respond to keyboard input
> >> etc. (haven't been able to confirm wether or not remote access is
> >> still possible).
> >>
> >> Is anybody else experiencing similar problems out there ... this
> >> has used to work for months without problems ... i made sure to
> >> force a reinstall of the nvidia-driver port on every new kernel
> >> install but that just doesn't seem to solve the problem either.
> >>

> > I've seen this also. It's a panic due to a NULL-pointer dereference
> > someplace in the nvidia-driver. I suspect that it's related to the
> > recent locking/mutex/whatever changes but can't prove it. All the
> > crash dumps which I have are corrupted so I can't do a backtrace :-(
> >
> > The bug seems to be in the binary blob part of the driver, which
> > means we have to wait for Nvidia to get around to fixing it.
> >
> > BTW I tried _all_ versions of the driver and every one of them
> > exhibits this problem.
> >
> > I'm now using an old Matrox card via VGA (lost my DVI).
>
> I'm using:
>
> trouble% pkg_info|grep nvidia
> nvidia-driver-1.0.9631_5 NVidia graphics card binary drivers for
> hardware OpenGL ren
>
> w/o obvious issues on:
>
> nvidia0 at pci1:0:0:       class=0x030000 card=0x019010de
> chip=0x018a10de rev=0xa2 hdr=0x00
>      vendor     = 'Nvidia Corp'
>      device     = 'Quadro NVS with AGP 8X [NV18GL.2]'
>      class      = display
>      subclass   = VGA
>
> HEAD is:
>
> trouble% uname -a
> FreeBSD trouble.errno.com 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #2: Sat
> Jun  2 21:33:05 PDT 2007
> sam at stubby.errno.com:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/STUBBY  i386
>
> I do not "switch from X to console".

I should perhaps make my statement about "all" drivers panicing more
precise.

With version 7194 I see the panic when I start X. With the other two
versions in ports I only see a panic when I stop X.

Unfortunately, my brain-dead BenQ TFT reports a resolution of 1280x1024,
even though it's really 1920x1200. The only driver version which I can
force to use the native resolution is 7194. The others come up in VGA
resolution, which isn't too hot on a 23" TFT.

I've now switched to a RADEON 9250SE which starts in 1920x1200 w/o
any problem.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg
garyjATdenxDOTde