recent nvidia-driver trouble

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 15 22:21:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Rink Springer wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 12:01:40PM -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:
>> I do not "switch from X to console".
>
> Neither do I - but it happends during shutdown as well. Haven't yet set
> up a serial console to check for panics though ...
>
> --
> Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
> "It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But yet a far more terrible thing,
> to admit it."                                    - Darth Traya

Memory serves me correctly a similar problem happened in Linux a few years back with X.org combined with (ATI, nVidia). We never determined the root cause, but try disabling apm and acpi if possible (first in the nVidia driver via xorg.conf, next the kernel via either boottime or compile time), and see if the issue persists. That solved a lot of the symptoms seen with the cards.
-Garrett