Samba access to ZFS broken

Stefan Esser se at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 1 13:41:20 UTC 2007

Johan Hendriks wrote:

> [...]

Well, what finally saved me after hours of effort spent trying to get
samba to work was your mail, which described exactly the symptoms my
system showed. When I read that it was specific to ZFS, I tried with
an MFS exported via samba, which just worked ... I had spent hours
recompiling all dependencies and looking at a possible config file
error. So, thank you for reporting it and for mentioning ZFS ;-)

> It used to work, and if I recall it did not work with version 3.0.24 also after the gcc update.

Ok, I've got a small file server running -current (because I wanted
to give ZFS a try) and I needed to reboot to disable ZFS read-ahead
(which appears to be a pessimisation at least on small servers; I
think vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1" should be the default, it seems
to not be adaptive as in our UFS, where read-ahead is gradually
increased if a file is really sequentially read).

> But I did not have time to go look for the problem at that moment.

I plan to test the previous kernel (from early may) with the current
samba (and if that does not work, the previous samba with the new
kernel).

But the local-NFS work-around keeps my system working despite the
current samba/ZFS incompatibility. (I can't easily move the data
to UFS and need to provide CIFS access to a large spool area for
an appliance that supports just that protocol ...)

Regards, STefan