ULE/SCHED_SMP diff for 7.0

Gary Jennejohn gary.jennejohn at freenet.de
Tue Jul 17 13:30:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 23:35:38 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff Roberson <jroberson at chesapeake.net> wrote:

> http://people.freebsd.org/~jeff/ule.diff
>
> This patch is scheduled for inclusion in 7.0.  I would like anyone
> who cares to run it to validate that it does not create any stability
> or performance regression over the existing ULE.  This patch replaces
> ULE with SCHED_SMP, which will now no longer exist as a seperate fork
> of ULE.
>
> Briefly, this is still a very suitable scheduler for uniprocessor
> machines while providing stronger affinity and other performance
> improvements for multiprocessor machines.
>
> Even "works for me!" type responses are welcome so I know roughly how
> many people have tested before I commit this close to release.

This is definitely an improvement over the old ULE.

With this: CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ and
64-bit FreeBSD-current I did ``make -j4 buildworld'' and saw that CPU0
isn't idle nearly as much as it was with the previous version of ULE.
CPU1 was hardly ever idle, but CPU0 was ususally at 5-10%, whereas
before it was more like 20%.

BTW /usr/obj is on a ZFS share. Can't say whether that has any
relevance.

---
Gary Jennejohn