RFT: bin/106642: [patch] Allow excluding certain files from mergemaster(8)

Gaspar Chilingarov casper at web.am
Tue Jul 10 17:05:12 UTC 2007

Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 12:30:10PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> This is a slightly easier way of doing something that can already be
>> done easily in other ways, so I have given it a very low priority.
>
> That's perfectly ok with me - I just wondered when I didn't hear from
> you for 4 months :)
>
> While it is true that there are other ways of doing this, it would be
> nice to have generic support for this in the official mergemaster(8) -
> especially given the limited complexity of the patch, imho.
>
>> My goal is to review the various suggestions for accomplishing what
>> you're suggesting, and then to incorporate the best one(s). While I
>> appreciate your enthusiasm, this isn't something that is any way shape
>> or form "urgent."
>
> Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to get this done right, and I
> look forward to seeing this - or a similar - feature being added to
> mergemaster(8).

Is it possible to have also some configuration for mergemaster to tell
it that some files should be installed automatically without asking --
thus I know that I NEVER change /etc/rc.d/ or /etc/mtree or something
like this -- so I wish to avoid mergemaster's questions about installing
that files.

Yes, I know, that this way I can shoot myself in the foot.

If this suggestion seems reasonable -- I can write small patch to
mergemaster.

/Gaspar

--
Gaspar Chilingarov