[mfi] command timeouts

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Tue Feb 20 15:17:39 UTC 2007

Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Scott Long wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> megacli is known to be fragile.  Don't Do That (tm).
>
> alternative solution?

Run the monitoring commands, don't run the commands that have given you
demonstrated problems.  Another path would be to contact LSI and
negotiate an NDA for their docs so that you can write your own tools.
Several FreeBSD-using companies have done this already, contact me
privately if you want details.

>>   As for the panic,
>> It's probably a side effect of megacli putting the card and the driver
>> into a chaotic state.
>
> I have also seen timeout messages after boot (while fsck was running)
> even if megacli was not called during that uptime.

But it eventually recovers?  If you're interested in tracking this down,
break into serial DDB when it happens and dump out the command structure
from the address given.

Scott