ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

Craig Boston craig at xfoil.gank.org
Tue Apr 10 02:04:56 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 09:55:23PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> That is a lifetime count of the # of operations, not the current
> number allocated ("InUse").

Yes, perhaps I should have said "sheer number of allocations &
deallocations".  I was just surprised that it seems to grab and release
memory much more often than anything else tracked by vmstat.

> It does look like there is something else using a significant amount
> of memory apart from arc, but arc might at least be the major one due
> to its extremely greedy default allocation policy.

I wasn't going to post again until somebody suggested trying this, but I
think the name cache can be ruled out.  I reduced vfs.zfs.dnlc.ncsize
from ~13000 to 4096 with no appreciable drop in total memory usage.

It seems to be stable with vm.kmem_size at 256MB, but the wired count
has come dangerously close a few times.

Craig