better way to build libraries..

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Sun Oct 1 14:56:47 PDT 2006

Warner Losh wrote this message on Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 14:08 -0600:
> In message: <20060928231816.GI80527 at funkthat.com>
>             John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu> writes:
> : Comments?  Improvements?
>
> Generally, libraries are considered to be a critical part of the
> system.  They often have many different interdependencies.  This is
> why we have buildworld: to account for them.  If you make the patches
> that you describe, then you break the upgrade path for people with
> older systems.

I don't see how adding the ability to do stand alone builds breaks
others ability to upgrade their systems through normal means (i.e.
buildworld)...

> You don't need to do a complete buildworld either to get new
> libraries.  However, teasing out the parts that you do and don't need

Yes you do, if you don't want to break your existing install by doing
a make includes....

> can be a chore.  Maybe we should enhance the build system to be able
> to say 'rebuild just the libraries w/o rebuilding the toolchain'.

IMO, even building just the libraries is a bit much...

I would like to integrate this into bsd.lib.mk so that if you use
bsd.lib.mk you automaticly get what my patch proposes, but my make-fu
is weak...  I will admit this will be a bit redundant for buildworld,
but it could be easily turned off in that case...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579