better way to build libraries..

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Oct 1 13:09:29 PDT 2006

In message: <20060928231816.GI80527 at funkthat.com>
            John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu> writes:
: Comments?  Improvements?

Generally, libraries are considered to be a critical part of the
system.  They often have many different interdependencies.  This is
why we have buildworld: to account for them.  If you make the patches
that you describe, then you break the upgrade path for people with
older systems.

You don't need to do a complete buildworld either to get new
libraries.  However, teasing out the parts that you do and don't need
can be a chore.  Maybe we should enhance the build system to be able
to say 'rebuild just the libraries w/o rebuilding the toolchain'.

Warner